Robert “KB” Brannum
Robert “KB” Brannum joined Aviation Performance Solutions in July, 2015 as an Advanced Instructor Pilot. As a professional pilot for more than 30 years, KB has accumulated over 10,000 hours of flying time. His primary duties at APS include providing flight instruction and academic briefings for the Upset Prevention and Recovery Training courses, dedicated to improving pilot skill-sets in time critical, life-threatening situations.
KB is a retired United States Air Force (USAF) Lieutenant Colonel and his military flying career includes flying and serving as a flight instructor in the RF-4, T-38, F-16, CA-212, C-12, C-208 and PC-6 aircraft.
Mr. Brannum is a graduate of the United States Air Force Academy. Upon graduation, he attended Undergraduate Pilot Training at Vance AFB, OK and was selected to fly the RF-4C as his first duty assignment. He became an instructor pilot and to fly the squadron’s highly sensitive Peacetime Aerial Reconnaissance Program.
KB’s military career includes two assignments as a T-38 instructor pilot, Vance AFB, OK. During this time, he held positions as a squadron flight commander, wing flight safety officer and assistant operations officer. He also attended the USAF flight safety school in order to complete his duties as a wing safety officer and aircraft accident investigator.
Mr. Brannum’s next assignment was as an F-16 flight commander and Air Division Flight Safety Officer, Ramstein AB, GE, where he planned and directed squadron combat deployments and led combat air patrols and reconnaissance missions over Northern Iraq. He also supervised 14 combat ready pilots and was the safety advisor to the Air Division Commander.
After flying the F-16, Mr. Brannum transitioned to USAF Special Operations. During his 7 years in special operations, he was twice assigned to the 427th SOS. During these tours, his duties included: assistant operations officer, flight examiner and instructor pilot in the CA-212 and B-200/C-12 aircraft. He also supervised 48 military, 5 civilians and 16 contract personnel while managing a 4000 hour per year flying program.
KB’s last military assignment was as commander of a Special Operations Squadron, where he commanded a combat squadron flying multiple dissimilar weapons systems. He led 65 personnel, including 23 civilians and 13 contract personnel in support of worldwide mission tasking.
Upon retirement, KB was hired by a major defense contractor where he worked as an instructor, section manager and program manager. As an instructor he provided platform as well as one on one instruction to U. S. Special Operations Command personnel. As a section manager and contract program manager, he managed a $7.8 million dollar yearly contract with U.S. Special Operations Command.
In 2001, KB became a certified flight instructor and has continued his flying career by receiving his CFII and MEI ratings. Over the last fifteen years, he has assisted pilots of all skill levels in attaining ratings from private to airline transport pilot. During his time, as a civilian instructor pilot, KB has also flown for a corporate flight department and as a captain for a FAR Part 135 air ambulance charter operation.
KB recently moved to Gilbert, AZ from Southern Pines, NC with his wife Sandra. They have two children, Megan and Nathaniel.
- APS Check Airman
- Airline Transport Pilot: Airplane Multiengine Land
- Commercial Pilot: Single Engine Land
- Type Rated: C-550, CASA C-212
- Master – CFI
- Certified Flight Instructor (CFI) / Multi-Engine Instructor (MEI) / Instrument Instructor Airplane (CFII)
- FAA Class 1 Medical Certificate
- FCC Radio License
- National Association of Flight Instructors (NAFI)
- Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA)
- MAS Business Administration, Troy State University, Ramstein AB, GE
- BS Physics, Phillips University, Enid, OK
- BS General Studies, United States Air Force Academy
- 10,750+ Flight Hours
- PIC: 9245, PIC Jet/Turbine: 6250, Multiengine: 4756, Instructor: 3750, Single engine: 3743, Tail-wheel: 350, Instrument: Actual: 2725/Simulated: 1715
- Aircraft flown: CE-550, PA-31, B-200, C-208, CA-212, PC-6, A-36, M-20TN, Super Decathlon, PA-46, E-300L,
F-16, T-38, RF-4
- Technical training:
- Simcom C-550 Refresher Course
- Simuflite C-550 Initial Course
- Flight Safety International – PA-46 Initial Course
- Simuflite BE-200 Refresher Course
- Simuflite BE-200 Initial Course
- U.S.A.F: 20 yrs. active duty
- Commander 427th Special Operations Squadron
- RF-4/F-16 Instructor Pilot
- T-38 Evaluator/Instructor Pilot
- CA-212/C-12/B-200/PC-6 Evaluator/Instructor Pilot
- United States Air Force Air Command and Staff College, in residence
- Undergraduate Pilot Training, Vance AFB, OK