At APS, we help pilots bring everyone home safely. We don’t just say that; it is our primary focus every day. We are an ambitious team on a mission to change flight training for the better, worldwide. To be upfront, APS is not for everyone. We hold ourselves to a higher standard than most. We strive for excellence, believing in people and their ability to constantly improve and realize potential. To thrive here you’ll need passion, hustle, humility, and comfort with the ongoing evolution of a fast growing company. There will be hard work and incredible challenges, but we’ll face them together with optimism. While we ask a lot of you, you will receive a lot in return: a rewarding career, unrivaled personal growth opportunities, and the deep satisfaction that your efforts help save lives.
The Advanced Flight Instructor will be primarily dedicated to delivering industry-leading upset prevention & recovery training (UPRT) to experienced pilots. You will be key to APS’ success by ensuring a valuable and safe client experience as one of our cadre of UPRT experts. This high-impact role brings significant responsibility in ensuring safety, maintaining compliance with rigorous standards, and continually expanding UPRT knowledge. You will also be called on to use your industry experience and leadership skills to contribute to business-related activities, outside projects, furthering the APS mission.
- Minimum 1500 hours total flight time
- Extensive all-attitude all-envelope flight experience (500+ flight hours preferred / min. of 100+ flight hours considered)
- Examples: military flight instructor, tactical or fighter experience, aerobatics (competition or airshow), test pilot school graduate with spin testing experience.
- Please be specific in your resume concerning the nature (role / aircraft types) and duration (flight hours) of this area of your flight experience.
- FAA Commercial Single-Engine Land (SEL) Pilot’s License
- FAA Certified Flight Instructor Rating (CFI)
- Tailwheel Endorsement
- Type-rating (or military equivalent)
- Work authorization in the United States
- Beneficial qualifications of additional interest to this employment (give emphasize to, and details on, these in your resume and application):
- Two Years or More of Airline or Corporate Business Jet Experience
- General Aviation Flight Experience
- Type Ratings on Crewed Airplanes
Daily Execution Excellence:
- Deliver industry-leading UPRT ground and flight instruction in high-performance aerobatic aircraft like the Extra 300L and Marchetti SIAI S-211 Jet. (flight profiles include primarily upset recovery and stall/spin training, with periodic aerobatic rides & instruction, and formation flight instruction)
- Upon advancement, instruct on Level D full motion and advanced simulators
- Stay on schedule and help create an unsurpassed client experience
- Communicate effectively with operations team
- As needed: manage schedule coordination, APS staff pilot training, aircraft maintenance monitoring, and flight program development.
Who you are:
- Appreciate being home each night with minimal/no out of town/state travel
- Appreciate a known and fixed schedule week to week, month to month, year to year
- Passionate about flight instruction
- Enjoy a team/family work environment with a strong dedication to the company mission and values
- Invigorated by the opportunity to make a difference in air safety
- Detail-oriented and self-motivated with an ownership mentality
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment with evolving requirements
- Able to fly up to four flights per day several days each week
- Physical requirements (225 lbs. max weight, 6' 6" max height) due to aircraft limitations
- Teachable, always learning and constantly improving
- Able to thrive in both individual and team environments and enjoy autonomy
- Excited by long-term career and growth opportunities
- Based in the east valley of Phoenix (Arizona), or Arlington (Texas) area, or are willing to relocate
- Able to work full time during these hours:
- Arizona: 7:30 am to 3:30 pm, Tues. - Sat. (2 hrs earlier 15 May – 30 Sep seasonally)
- Texas: 7:00 am to 3:00 pm, Tues. - Sat.
Who you are not:
- Over-confident and unwilling to admit mistakes or learn new techniques
- Unable to handle a fast paced environment
- Overwhelmed by flying multiple flights each day while completing additional responsibilities (yet always within a defined and reasonable work day)
- Unable to arrive on time every day
- Looking for short-term employment less than two years.
You’ll stand out if you:
- Have a safety-focused attitude, friendly demeanor and a can-do work ethic towards all aspects of business and customer relations
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Have a strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications and computers in general
Interested applicants please click 'Apply Now' at the linked button below.